Call for Papers
Cultural Expression in Augmented & Mixed Reality
Guest editors: Jay David Bolter and Maria Engberg
We seek contributions of papers concerned with applications and implications of augmented reality (AR), mixed reality (MR), and ubiquitous computing (UC). The papers will be published as a special issue in February 2014 in the international journal, Convergence, published by Sage Publications.
We are interested in papers that offer new insights into aesthetic, artistic, cultural and sociopolitical uses of these technologies.
Possible topics for paper proposals include (but are not restricted to)
- AR/MR/UC in the context of art history and theory or media studies
- critical theoretical perspectives on AR/MR/UC
- social media and participatory culture
- locative literary and artistic forms
- cultural heritage and cultural institutions
- tactical media and other political interventions in and with these technologies
The special issue is associated with the Nordic network The Culture of Ubiquitous Information.
Initial proposals should be extended abstracts in English, between 500-800 words.
The abstract should include the following information:
1) Name of author(s) with email addresses and affiliation, if applicable 2) Title of the paper 3) Body of the abstract 4) Bibliography (not included in word count).
The papers will be selected through a blind peer review process.
Authors of the selected papers will receive submission guidelines.
Final papers should be 5,000 – 8,000 words.
Abstracts are due: June 30, 2012.
Notification of selected papers: August 2012.
Complete papers are due February 2013
Editors’ comments are sent out in April 2013.
Final papers are due June 1, 2013.
The issue is published in February 2014.
Contacts: Please forward your abstract as a PDF attachment in an e-mail addressed to:
Maria Engberg, journal issue editor (firstname.lastname@example.org)